Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Getting by on less? Sure! As long as you already own a stroller that rocks!

Our last night in Barcelona! Tomorrow afternoon we are heading southwest to Seville by train.  Our time in Barcelona was fabulous!  Our boys were as good and as bad as they can be.  One bonus is that city noise is a great buffer for tantrum noise.   We did end up getting a new, high-end stroller and boy is it nice!  We should've bought it 4 years ago...  I can't believe we were walking around all day trying to push that $12 stroller around (which by the way we are STILL doing!).  The way we roll now is usually with Theo in the carrier and Jos in the new stroller with the crappy stroller attached to the new stroller rolling along behind it.  We alternate between this and pushing both boys in both strollers. We have been lucky enough twice since we've been here to actually sit down at a cafe for a meal.  Usually we just look longingly on as we pass all the childless travelers and city dwellers sipping coffee and sangria at the cafes and tapas bars.  We are spending our days at playgrounds in between attempting to see the museums and tourist sights.  Luckily there are playgrounds everywhere here!  Yesterday just as we arrived at the most famous sight, the La Sagrada Familia church, both boys fell asleep!!  It must've been some kind of divine intervention.  And wow!  The Sagrada should be one of the seven wonders of the world.  It is really amazing. Joseph's diet has done an embarrassing 180.  My stir-fry eating, tofu-loving 3 year old has been living on dessert croissants, muffins, crepes and ice cream.  I can't even believe it myself as I'm writing this.  It's just that when he's hungry there is always a patisserie right there and of course he wants to go in and choose something and rather than cause tantrum number five of the day I think "well, we are on vacation...". I know, bad parenting that's going to be hard to undo.  At least there aren't gelato stands every 20 feet at home.  I've had my share of sweets too. So today's lesson for those of you paying attention at home: if you're going to be trekking through European cities with little ones, get the best stroller you can afford.  As for my new shoes, I'm still hitting the pavement in the ones I brought.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to see La Sagrada. Josie sounds like he is in hog heaven with all those sweets, good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met a woman yesterday who was from Great Britain and she had a light, folding, sturdy but trim stroller, and I thought of you! Glad you splurged on a good one. And you made me chuckle envisioning the crappy stroller tagging along behind the fresh one! I am loving your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun in Barcelona! ...but i think i should've come with you to watch the boys for a couple nights out for you and Joe! lol...

    ReplyDelete